We wish we could tell you that coconut water will prevent you from getting sick. However, we can say that proper hydration is essential to fighting and recovering from illness. When we are sick, our bodies require elevated levels of fluid to flush-out toxins and waste, maintain body temperature, and keep oxygen pumping. This need for hydration is compounded by the fact that symptoms like fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and water retention further drive the loss of fluid.
When we face illness, we need to consciously consume healthy liquids – ideally a beverage loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – and not something burdened by artificial colors/flavors and other junk ingredients. It is important to replace lost electrolytes and intake at least a touch of natural sugar when we are fighting sickness. At the same time, it is understandable that many of the best options for hydration during illness (besides, of course, water) are harsh on the stomach, throat, and/or taste buds.
Here are ten (10) reasons why:
- When you’re under the weather, you can’t afford to tax your body with junk beverages containing harmful additives– like high fructose corn syrup, artificial dyes and flavoring, unnatural sugars, and other bizarre chemical ingredients. Fortunately, pure, unpackaged coconut water presents none of these problems.
- Because human beings dehydrate faster and more intensely when we’re sick, those fighting illness especially benefit from an isotonic beverage like pure, natural young coconut water. As an isotonic beverage, coconut water is: (a) absorbed by the body faster than most liquids; and (b) less likely to cause water toxicity (AKA “over-hydration”).
- We tend to fall short of normal nutritional standards when we’re sick. Pure, natural young coconut water offers a variety of unique nutritional benefits. For example, the water in a single young coconut water contains more potassium than a whole banana.
- In natural young coconut water, you’ll find powerful antioxidants to fight illness, squash infection, and destroy harmful free radicals.
- Pure, natural coconut water works to replenish all five major electrolytes, which deplete during the course of illness.
- Fresh, unpackaged coconut water is easy on the stomach, throat, and taste buds, which is great for those facing illness – especially considering many of the best fruit juices and sports drinks prove harsh for consumption by sick individuals.
- Drinking from a coconut grants a moment of levity amidst experience of feeling ill.
- Packaged by Mother Nature. Click here to learn more about why that’s important.
- Fresh, unpackaged coconut water contains virtually no fat or cholesterol. It also has less sugar and fewer calories than most natural juices and sports beverages.
- People feeling sick often start feeling better after they drink from a young coconut – due to the boost in electrolytes, fast-acting hydration, pinch of natural sugar, yummy taste, and fun experience.
In addition to healthy, appropriate doses of regular water, fresh young coconut water offers a great source of hydration and nutrition to those battling illness.